When you are invited to a party/shindig/get-together, and the host quips, “It’s BYOB, FYI, LOL, YOLO,” (insert appropriate abbrevs as needed, depending on your host), it’s not too tough. You either grab a bottle of your favorite beverage, or pick one up along the way. If you are one of those thoughtful people, you might bring a bag of ice as a bonus.
Things get a little more complicated when the host casually states “Everyone is bringing a little something to share, so feel free to bring a dish if you’d like.” Obviously you can’t show up empty-handed and be the moocher of the group. On the other hand, you might not have the time or inclination to go all Martha Stewart with this. You just want to hang out with your friends, munch on some snacks, and discuss current events with the appropriate amount of snark.
Good news – there is a middle ground between mooch and Martha Stewart for party-goers. Whenever I am heading to an event, I grab something fairly easy to prepare but ensure the presentation is flawless. This saves time, but still shows care and effort.
At a recent event I was heading to, I opted to create a dish my friends always enjoy: Ruffles Original Potato Chips.
RUFFLES ORIGINAL POTATO CHIPS
- 1 bag of Ruffles Original Potato Chips
- Parsley for garnish (optional, but classy)
1) Get bag of potato chips
2) Realize it might look tacky if you just show up with a bag of chips and search for a bowl
3) Pour the chips into the bowl
4) Put saran wrap on top of the bowl for optimal freshness
4) Bring along with you, and don’t forget to bring the bowl home with you for your next outside culinary endeavor